• March 28Girls Varsity Softball def. Randallstown 17-3

• March 1Lady Owls Varsity LAX defeats Chesapeake HS 22-2

Dorky Teachers are the Best

Mileyda Casasola, Writer

Jennifer Williams is an English and a Creative Writing teacher at Dundalk High School. She has taught at Walter P. Carter Elementary School, Forest Park High School, Heritage High School and Old Mill High School. This is her first year at DHS and although she is also new to Baltimore County, overall her experience so far at DHS is good. A word that describes her is motivated,” I always want to try to do everything so I am always trying to do the next thing and I don’t know whether that’s always good or not,” said Ms. Williams.

Ms. William’s High School experience was long but also short because she did three years of high school and in her senior year she did a college waiver program. We all have our difficult situations and the college waiver program was Ms. William’s ticket to success. She attended the University of Maryland and received a Bachelor’s Degree in English, and is working towards her Master’s Degree in Secondary Education at John Hopkins University.

A passion inside of her is the love of teaching English, “I am such a dork for reading and writing. It makes me happy,” said Ms. Williams. She also has a Creative Writing class, which is one of her favorites. It allows students the freedom to express their mind and emotions as well as experience a different side of writing. We can say that teaching for Ms. Williams is a must in her life, “I think our English curriculum is kind of dry sometimes. I would love to be part of that process to kind of make it a little more exciting or pick different books.” In the future, if there are opportunities to be involved in English curriculum writing she would definitely be part of it.

Ms. Williams’ big goal for her students is to get them excited about reading and writing, but the main purpose is for students to really be solid communicators, “No matter what they go do when they leave high school they can have concrete conversations, they can send that email to their boss, they can read and follow directions, they can have those basic skills to be as successful as possible,” said Ms. Williams. Every day each class is different but by far the students are the best part of Ms. William’s job. She likes to get to know her students because her students are the reason she is teaching. Without them, she wouldn’t be a teacher.

Letting faith lead her every day and just knowing that she can come and do her job makes her feel wonderful. If she could have given advice to herself at sixteen it would have been, “to hang in there. Sometimes things feel so overwhelming but if you just hang in there, help is on the way. You may not know in what form but it will come,” said Ms. Williams. Clarifying that there is always a light at the end of the dark tunnel.