• March 28Girls Varsity Softball def. Randallstown 17-3

• March 1Lady Owls Varsity LAX defeats Chesapeake HS 22-2

Grades or Music?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Grades or Music?

Students at Dundalk High School working in the library, listening to their headphones

Vince Zebrowski, Writer

How do you feel about students listening to music while doing work in school?

In my personal opinion, I feel as if most students concentrate better with their music in their ears. In school, instruction is very important and you should always listen and pay attention to your teacher and/or whoever is teaching during that time. Most people have their own opinions about music in class, and I have my own. I think students focus better when they aren’t listening to the distractions around them. For me, if I listen to music it is much easier to concentrate and stay focused on my work.

Here with me is Katerina Locklear. Katerina attends Dundalk High School and this will be her last year at high school. After graduation, Katerina wants to attend a 4-year university. I’m going to ask Katerina few questions to gather her thoughts on listening to music while in class.

Vince (me): Hi Katerina, thank you for joining us today. How are you?

Katerina: Hello, thank you for having me. I am doing great, and yourself?

Vince (me): I am doing well, thank you for asking. The reason I have you here today is because I want to know your thoughts on listening to music while in class.

Katerina: Ooooh, that is a touchy subject. Feel free to ask me whatever.

Vince (me): How do you feel about students listening to music during class time?

Katerina: I am totally with it. If the teacher or whomever in charge is not giving instruction then I don’t see a problem with it.

Vince (me): Absolutely, I 110% agree with you. When do you listen to music in school?

Katerina: I listen to my music when my teacher isn’t giving instruction but I also listen to my music when we are changing classes, lunch, on my way to school, on my way home, etc.

Vince (me): And how do your teachers feel about students listening to music?

Katerina: Some teachers aren’t on board with it, but most teachers are. We have phone signs, green means you are okay to be on your phone, red means you are not allowed to be on your phone and yellow means music ONLY.

Katerina: I’m going to flip this, I have a question for you. If that is okay?

Vince (me): Please, ask away.

Katerina: How do your teachers feel about you listening to music during the day?

Vince (me): Most teachers are okay with it, my teachers are very laid back and easy going as long as you follow instruction and complete classwork.

Vince (me): That is all the questions I have for you today. Thank you so much for taking time of your day to chat with me. Have a great day.

Katerina: You do the same, thank you for having me.

After meeting with Katerina, I think students need to check with their teachers before plugging in their ear pods. I personally think the teacher or whoever is in charge at the time should be done giving instruction before you put in music. Music is great, but we have to respect our staff.